This is an easy stir-together recipe that is moist and even better the next day.
Credit to Aussie Apples for this delicious recipe!
160 gm honey (1/2 cup)
90 gm brown sugar (1/2 cup)
125 ml plain oil (1/2 cup)
125 ml hot water (1/2 cup)
¼ teaspoon salt
100-130 gm (1) cored grated apple ( no need to peel)
260 gm plain flour (2 cups)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice
4 Tablespoons raw sugar for sprinkling
- You will need two bowls to start this recipe.
- Oven 180C or 170 C for fan forced.
- Using a medium to large bowl add the flour, spices, salt, baking powder and soda and whisk together well.
- In another bowl mix the honey, brown sugar, oil and hot water and whisk well. Add the egg and whisk again. (make sure the mixture is only just warm)
- Tip the grated apple and the liquid into the flour mixture and mix till combined.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin cases ¾ full. Sprinkle with raw sugar
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Hint: This recipe is also lovely with chunks of crystalised ginger.