Recently we were looking for a tasty, healthy winter snack that incorporates some Queensland fruit. WOW, did we find the perfect recipe at Aussie Apples! Situated in Stanthorpe, Nicoletti Orchards produce amazing apples year after year. Their flavour works perfectly in all types of cooking, as well as fresh on their own! These sausages rolls are so scrumptious and in addition, are a great way for kids to eat more fruit! Double bonus!
- 500 gm pork mince
- 1 egg (+ 1 yolk for glazing the pastry set this one aside)
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs (Panko)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 small apple ( around 100 gm)
- 2 sheets of frozen butter puff pastry
- 3-4 tablespoons dukkah or sesame seeds
- Oven 190 C. Meanwhile, you’ll need a baking paper-lined tray and a pastry brush for glazing.
- Take a big bowl and firstly mix the pork, spices, crumbs, apple and whole egg. Using your hand’s mix very well to combine ingredients. The mixture will make 4 sausages of 4 rolls each.
- Take out two sheets of puff pastry leaving them on the plastic sheet. The puff pastry works best if it is pliable but more importantly, only just defrosted, so take it out just before you are ready. It takes about 8-10 minutes to become pliable. Cut across the middle leaving it on the plastic sheet. Turn the sheet around so that the long side is in front of you. Each half will make one long sausage roll, however, you will cut into 4.
- Meanwhile, put the extra egg yolk into a small bowl and mix in a good pinch of salt.
- Divide the pork mixture into roughly 4 portions in the bowl. Roll one piece of the mince into a log. Add to the pastry, paint the far edge with egg mixture. Roll up tightly and seal using the plastic backing to help make it smooth and tight. Sit the sausage roll so that the seam is underneath. Cut into half then half again and put onto the lined tray. Paint with egg mixture and sprinkle with dukkah. Repeat 4 times.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes so that the pastry firms up. This helps it puff more evenly.
- Finally, bake till golden or for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.