It’s JAZZ™ apple season and we’re feeling fantastic! Aussies absolutely love that unique flavour and crunch of a JAZZ™ apple. Us included! The best way to enjoy them is fresh and they are a perfect baking apple too. Autumn is here and we are spending more time indulging in comfort foods. We are sharing this scrumptious recipe; and the best part is; you can add more JAZZ™ apples!!
Aussie farmers are harvesting Australia’s favourite apple right now! The growers are licenced and maintain around 500,000 trees across the nation. Now that’s a whole lot of crunch!!
Introduced in Australian in 2006, this treat is a cross between Gala and Braeburn varieties. The JAZZ™ apple is sweet and has a dense crunchy flavour you’ll always enjoy! No need to worry about the appearance and wrinkle problems. They store well and have a longer shelf life. Definitely our favourite apple hands down!
JAZZ™ Apple Snack
Did I mention the crunch? This apple is the go-to snack Australian’s love to enjoy. JAZZ™ apples are fantastic on their own! Many of us love to enjoy them in our breakkie and some prefer baking. This apple is versatile! We’ve been a little naughty of late. We like to add a thin layer of almond nut spread to the apple slices. It’s a good healthy balance, don’t you agree? Mum’s and Dad’s, these are the perfect snack for your child’s lunchbox. Heading out for a workout or maybe you’re on the run, grab a JAZZ™ apple.
JAZZ™ Apple Growers
What a wonderful time meeting the JAZZ™ Apple growers from Stanthorpe Queensland. They showed us around the orchard and in the packing shed. This beautiful family have been growing apples for over 70 years. Meet 3rd generation brothers John and Robert Savio. They dedicate many hours, months and years to produce a premium and full flavoured apple for all Australians to enjoy.
The eldest family member is Peter. John and Robert shared some beautiful memories growing up with their father. At 97 Peter continues to share his knowledge and provide advice. In 2012 he was awarded top honours and inducted into Apple and Pear Australia Ltd (APAL). How amazing is that! We thank you and all the growers across Australia for all that you do!! Now over to the recipe.
4-5 JAZZ™ apples peeled
500g unsalted butter (softened)
1 ½ cups Greek yoghurt
1 ½ cups SR flour (sifted)
¾ cup brown sugar
1t vanilla sugar/essence
- Place butter, sugar and essence into an elecric mixer and beat until light and fluffy.
- Grate the zest of 1 lemon and add to bowl.
- Add eggs into bowl one at a time.
- Turn off mixer and stir in gently flour, yoghurt and 2T of lemon juice.
- Slice apples into eighths and place in bowl. Squeeze 1 lemon and stir through apples. This will prevent them from oxidising.
- Place baking paper inside a 20cm springform cake pan and brush melted butter onto paper.
- Lay out apples inside pan starting from the outside to form a circle. You will have 2 circles.
- Pour mixture onto the apples and bake in oven at 180 degrees celsius for around 40 minutes.
- Place cake on a tray to cool down. Turn cake upside down to make sure the apples are facing up. Enjoy!
If you want that added extra apple flavour, dice up 2 more JAZZ™ apples and stir through the mixture at step 4. This is a simple recipe and requires very little time for preparation. It’s the perfect treat for the family. We hope you enjoy our JAZZ™ apple and lemon cake! Are you ready to share your creative masterpice with us? Drop a comment below, we’d love to hear from you!